By Richard Rost 5 days ago
Last Update: 9/24/2020
I get emails all the time from people with Access issues. All of the problems and questions from many of you have inspired me to start this: the Access Debugging and Troubleshooting Checklist.
I know I've pulled my hair out with strange Access problems that sometimes seemed to get fixed by the strangest things. I went nuts one day trying to fix a bug and it turned out I just needed to reboot the PC. Low system resources can cause any number of problems, including forms not opening, reports not printing right, crashes, etc.
So, here's my list of troubleshooting tips when you've got that Access problem that just will NOT go away. I have tried to rank these in the order you should check. The least painful fixes (quick and easy) are first. Try each one in order. If that doesn't work, move on to the next one.
Backup First. My standard disclaimer applies. Before doing ANYTHING with your database, you should always make sure you have a good backup. 'Nuff said.
Compact & Repair. Of course, the number one thing you should try with any Access database is the good old C&R. It's easy to do. From inside your database, go to Database Tools > Compact & Repair. See this video for more on the Importance of Compact & Repair.
Restart Access. Close and restart your database.
Restart All Access Databases. Close and restart any and all Access databases.
Restart Office. Close and restart any open Microsoft Office Applications. They share DLLs so even a misbehaving Excel file can keep Access doing weird things.
Reboot the PC. That game you were playing last night might have eaten up your available memory. Those Recorsets that you DIM'd and forgot to set to Nothing at the end of your loop... yeah, you may have memory leakage or other low system resources. Give it a quick reboot. I know rebooting is a pain. Go get coffee.
Reboot Clean. If you have any other applications that load with Windows (virus scanners, etc.) reboot without them. Run your Access database on a clean, fresh startup. Something else might be interfering with your database. You can
Try a Backup. Sometimes the problem may be due to something you recently added to your database. SAVE your current database (set it aside, rename it) so you don't lose any data. Then try restoring your most recent backup. If that works, then the problem was caused by something you changed. If that still doesn't fix the problem, try your next oldest backup. That should help you nail down when the bug crept in to your database.
Try Another PC. Believe it or not, I had a database once that would not work on one specific computer. The client called me in several times and I couldn't figure the problem out. It worked fine on every other machine in the office, and no other application (Word, etc.) had issues. Just my database. Turns out it was a faulty keyboard. For some reason, there was a short that affected Access in some way. No idea why. Replaced the keyboard. Database ran fine. Weird? Yes. But that's technology for ya.
Office Update. Bugs happen. Microsoft is fixing bugs all the time. Sometimes an update creates a bug. The best way to make sure you don't have a problem with a known bug is to run an Office Update if something doesn't seem right. In any Office application, go to File > Account > Office Updates.
Windows Update. If you're sure you have the latest version of Office installed, make sure Windows is up to date too. The two are closely related. Bugs in Windows can cause your database to act weird. It's happened to me. Run a Windows Update. From the Start Button just search for "Windows Update."
Scan for Viruses. If you share or download files, you could have a virus. In which case your system could exhibit any number of odd behaviors. Open "Windows Defender." Make sure your virus definitions are up to date and run a complete scan of your system.
New Database File. Sometimes ACCDB files get weirdly corrupted. Even after a C&R it might not be acting right. Create a blank new ACCDB file and import the misbehaving object(s) into it. If they work, the problem is a bad file. Proceed to import the rest of your objects until you find the culprit.
Compile the Database. In the VB editor window, go to Debug > Compile [Database Name]. You'd be surprised what bad code in one Module will do to another. Usually this just highlights syntax errors, but you'd be surprised sometimes.
Remove 3rd Party Components. Your problem might be with a 3rd party DLL, OCX, or other plugin.
Reinstall Office. Sometimes files get corrupted and an Office Update won't repair them because it doesn't know to look for them. I've had bad DLL files before that have wrecked havoc on my system, and everything was up to date. Sometimes you need to completely uninstall Office first, so that everything is deleted, and then reinstall it. Don't just install over an old copy. If you have remnants of older versions of Office on your system, delete those too.
Reinstall Windows. Sometimes you might have a corrupted Windows DLL file. You may need to try working from a fresh install of Windows. If you have tried everything else AND your database works fine on another computer, this may be your only option.
Get Help. If you've checked everything off on this list and you still need help with your database, I'm here for you. I try to make myself available as much as possible to answer questions. Your first line of support is the Access Forum. Post your problem there. I try to check them as much as I can, plus Alex and some of the other students help out a lot (and I'm super appreciative of that!). Beyond that, if you need help with your database, FREE help is available via my TechHelp page, and PAID support is available on my Consulting page. If it's business critical, I'm here for you.
You may want to read these articles from the 599CD News: